Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Plum Sykes on pink.

Writer Plum Sykes recently penned an article for the July issue of Vogue UK about her love of pink.






 She writes "is there any point to all this pinkness in my life? I suspect there is. The truth is, I find real life - putting out the rubbish, work going wrong, people getting ill, friends dying - pretty gruelling. If I think about it all too much, I get pretty down pretty quickly. I believe that anything that can cheer you up is incredibly valuable, and there's nothing like pink to do that."

 
Anyone that has known me for any length of time would have to surmise that I agree. Pink is by far and away my favourite colour. My wardrobe is practically heaving with it and I'm drawn to pink knick-knacks for around my flat too: cushions, vases, cups and saucers, flowers - I've got the lot.






I think I've been in love with pink from the day dot, and although little girls these days seemed to be groomed for a life lived in pink (shopping for my 9 month old niece I can barely find another colour), that wasn't so much the case in my childhood. I believe I've always associated pink with femininity, luxury and contentment. Plum writes that during the Golden Age of Couture Dior and Balenciaga used pink in every collection as the designers knew it was flattering to pretty much every woman.

 
Dior said "every woman should have something pink in her wardrobe."

 
I must admit that I have more than something. My old colleague and friend Jane used to throw up her hands in exasperation when she'd see me return from my lunch-hour with yet another pink dress as a result of a retail rummage.


 

 
 
 
I have to agree with Plum Sykes ... pink is just the best!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment