Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Ballerina dreams ...




Did you have them, as a girl?  When I was very young I wanted be an ice skater, which is -- I suppose -- like ballet on ice. 



via repetto.com


When I became a teenager, however, I discovered the beauty of the ballerina for the first time.




Ever since, I have been enchanted by it.

Though not a dancer myself, I can almost feel in my own body the kinetic energy of the ballerina when I watch her perform.  And always, I admire her slim but supple carriage ...



Kim Joo-won
via expatjane.blogspot.com


... her fairy-tale costumes ...



Giselle
The National Ballet of Canada

via meia-ponta.blogspot.com


... and the mesmerizing lines of her limbs, in motion and at rest. 

via modthesims.info


The mere image of the slipper evokes a tangible grace.

I savor ballet-inspired fashion magazine features, as well.



Vogue (US)
via boysballet.files.wordpress.com



Vogue (US)
via meia-ponta.blogspot.com

 



Vogue (US)
 via meia-ponta.blogspot.com

 


Vogue (UK)
via haremofpeacocks.blogspot.com
 
 

Vogue Girl
via style-sharing.blogspot.com



Vogue (US)
via absolutelyfabulousfm.blogspot.com


Vogue has done an especially fine job of this!




via violetvoice.tumblr.com



I simply cannot imagine a day when the image of the classically trained ballerina will fail to stir my wonder and admiration.

She is, to quote Shakespeare, "such stuff as dreams are made on."



2 comments:

  1. There is something timelessly elegant about ballet, an almost other-worldly beauty which stirs the imagination.

    I used to make tutus for a ballet company. What a thrill it was to see those lovely tutus come alive on the graceful forms of the dancers! All the painstaking hours to construct them suddenly seemed worth it.

    Around age 5-6, I took ballet lessons. I was rather undisciplined, at that age, and I quit the class. But I did end up studying other forms of dance for over ten years, which I greatly enjoyed.

    Thank you for yet another exquisite and inspiring post, Laurie! I'll be swiping a few of these gorgeous images. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, thank you for another wonderful comment! I always feel so appreciated when I read your responses.

    :) Laurie

    ReplyDelete