Monday, July 5, 2010

Color Crave: Red and Pink



I am feeling these colors out ...



(ignore the brown!)



... ruby reds, blueish pinks, lilac (but not purple -- though violet might work),



Christian Louboutin (in the d'Orsay style, gorgeous and flattering!)


... berry hues, candy pinks, china red, fuschia, scarlet reds, magenta ...






... absolutely NO orange or brown (they are so 70's, and pink w/brown has become such a tired cliche).






The thing about pink and red is that they can too easily read "modern", "child's room", or even exotic (e.g. East Indian) to me, none of which are my style.  In the right house, in the right room (meaning somebody else's house and room) I'm sure they're just right. 

Just not right for me.
 


Look at those shoes -- very Betty Grable!



Maybe I'm just tired of faded, uninspiring (dare I say wimpy?) florals. My beloved shabby chic has perhaps had its day, color-wise (though pink in all it's incarnations will never, ever die!)

Not if I have anything to say about it.






And as I wrote in my previous post, I've got a serious hankering for COLOR!



Look at the stars on that netting!  A chair fit for a modern fairy queen.





Vivienne Tam dress, shoes and limited edition "digital clutch" (yes, it's a computer -- a netbook!)




(psssst, Lotus Haus has pictures of the cutest baby boy ... check it out).


I'm well aware that pinks and reds are "activating" colors, and like all colors they have an effect on mood.  I suffer from depression -- particularly seasonally (the five to six months of rain/snow/ice/cold/short days they call Winter here) --so maybe for me judicious use of these colors will be a good thing.





On the other hand, there is the flipside of depression (or the underbelly, as I like to think of it):  anxiety.  Too much red might amp up the anxiety.  Too much pattern jangles my nerves, too ...




... but I love the bones of this classic "Valbonne Chair and the mix of colors (except for the orange) -- just not in my house.  I guess I'd consider this more of concept chair.  Chair couture, if you will.





I don't know much and color theory, but I do know that a certain shade of blue (which I've heard deliciously described as "bomb pop" blue), and even a not-too-green turquoise blue do seem to dovetail quite nicely with red and pink.

But that, my friends, is a tangent for another post.



love ... me


No comments:

Post a Comment